I really wish you could smell the aroma in my home…Roasted Apple Stuffed Chicken. I took my Mom’s original recipe and made it gluten free and Paleo by using apples in place of bread for the stuffing…DeLISH!!
- 1 roasting chicken (Approximately 3 1/2 lbs)
- 1 large orange
- sea salt and pepper
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 1/2 cup celery chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 apples, unpeeled, cored and diced
- 1 tbsp fresh rosemary, chopped finely
- 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Remove any organs from the chicken’s cavity. Rinse the bird with cold water and pat dry.
- Grate the zest from the orange and set aside. Cut the orange in half and rub all over the chicken. Liberally salt and pepper the entire bird.
- Melt the coconut oil in a skillet. Add onion and celery and cook over low heat until tender. Add garlic and apples and sauté until the apples are soft but not cooked completely.
- Remove from heat and add orange zest, rosemary and poultry seasoning to the apple mixture.
- Stuff the chicken with the mixture. Tie the legs together with kitchen string. Place breast side up in a roasting pan. Rub the chicken with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil.
- Roast for 1 1/2 hours. Let chicken rest for 10 minutes before carving