Rockin’ Roots Warmed Kale Salad
By Leanne Vogel
Yield: 4 servings
1 white onion, sliced
2 large golden beets, cubed (leave skin on)
1 medium sweet potato, cubed (leave skin on) – should yield 2 cups of cubes
1 acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed (reserve!), peeled with a vegetable peeler and cubed
2 teaspoons grape seed oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
salt and pepper, to taste
1 large head kale, chopped
Garlic Maple Dressing:
4 teaspoon apple cider raw vinegar
2 teaspoon maple syrup
1 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
3 small cloves garlic, minced
8 prunes, sliced
1. Preheat your oven to 400F and set aside a baking sheet. No need to cover it with parchment or silicon baking mat.
2. Drop sliced onion, beets, sweet potato, squash, oil, cinnamon, salt and pepper on baking sheet. Toss with hands until everything is coated. Give a good shake of salt and pepper and place in the oven.
3. Roast for 30-35 minutes, rotating halfway through.
4. When the veggies are about 2 minutes away from completion, remove from the oven, place the chopped kale on top and return back to the oven.
5. Meanwhile, combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
6. Remove the squash guts form the seeds. Place them in a frying pan with a dash of salt and pepper. Heat on medium-low heat. Roast until golden, stirring often.
7. When veggies are done, transfer to a bowl, add dressing, prunes and toasted squash seeds.
8. Serve it up!